Gerberas are cheerful and happy blooms that will brighten any room. With the cheerfulness they evoke, it's no surprise they're the world's fifth most popular flower.
When you buy a gerbera, you're actually buying two flowers! The gerbera's petals and eye are two different flowers in one, with the petals being one color and the eye being another. Gerbera petals are available in almost every color of the rainbow!
Gerberas are also available all year in Ireland, so there are no excuses not to rush to your local florist and pick some up! Follow these guidelines to learn how to properly care for your gerberas:
1) Find a clean vase or give your vase a good clean with warm water and soap.
2) Fill your vase with cold water, halfway and add flower food.
3) Trim your gerbera stems on a 45-degree angle
4) Place into a vase and arrange.
5) Every two to three days, change the water and re-cut the stems.
6) Keep away from any fruit, direct sunlight and any heating.
Gerbera Fun Fact:
Put some gerberas next to your bed if you need 8 hours of sleep. They assist in putting you to sleep by releasing oxygen, which aids in the removal of chemicals from the air.